2012年1月26日星期四

Just diagnosed with PCOS?

I went to the Dr. cause I was having irregular periods. While I was there he asked me how often I had a period (3-5/year) and then asked whether I had hair on my nipples. (I don't) He then told me that due to the fact that I don't have hair on my nipples that I have a very mild case of PCOS. However, I do have extra hair on my upper lip, chin, and under my belly button and he didn't even ask about this. He didn't really even tell me what PCOS was and what I know about it I have looked up online (which can be wrong) so I'm not sure if I know what Im talking about. Anywho, he put me on Aviane birth control and told me to come back in 3mos to check on B/C and have bloodwork done to be ';actually diagnosed.'; While on this B/C I had some problems with it. I had sore breasts that I couldn't even wear a bra for the whole 3mos, a headache the WHOLE TIME, and I had nose bleeds. When I told the Dr. about the nose bleeds he said I was imagining it cause he had never heard of it. But it clearly reads in the drug info packet he gave me that that is a serious side effect of this stuff. When I went back he simply switched the B/C and didn't do any blood work. He acted like he didn't know what I was talking about when I asked if he was going to do any blood work. I also have read that hair loss can be caused by PCOS-I have bald spots ... he says that its not though. So, I guess I want to know if I need blood work done or not. Are there any alternatives to B/C? And can PCOS cause hair loss like that?Just diagnosed with PCOS?
Okay first off, many doctors think that BC has a panacea effect (as in a cure-all) on PCOS. It does not. In fact, there are many extra risks in using some birth control types - like Yasmin/Osceola - with PCOS. In fact there is even an FDA warning going out, and I have joined a class action suit against it because of the dangers of that birthcontrol - and also if you had such a bad reaction... then yes you were correct in not taking it any longer. Often though, the first two months of a bc are unpleasant.


Secondly - hair around the nipple is quite normal, even for women without PCOS. Your doctor clearly doesn't know what he's talking about on that. Some hair around the navel and upper lip is also normal for many women, but PCOS makes it much darker, and coarse, more easily visible at young ages.


Yes, alopecia can be caused by PCOS. Your doctor is not treating you properly, and you should go to a different one. Also, stop taking any of the pills for PCOS he gave you - like the new BC.


You should get bloodwork done.


There are ways to help alleviate such severe PCOS, because if you're having bald spots, and such infrequent periods, there is no 'cure' for it. But you have to manage it, because you can get diabetes very easily, and also high blood pressure, be at risk for stroke and heart disease. Eat green leafy vegetables, take vitamins, and all that regular stuff. But make sure you take good iron, calcium and folic acid. All women need that, but with PCOS you REALLY need it.


And lastly - ANY doctor who tells you are simply imagining a symptom - is full of **** (pardon my swearing please) and is not obeying the Hipocratic Oath. He is not treating you, he is not listening to your input, and that is putting you at risk and in harm's way - a direct violation of the Oath. He clearly hasn't done any actual research, and clearly has no ability to listen to what his patients say.





For my PCOS, I am on a diabetes medication called gloucafauge (I probably spelled that wrong) that does have some side effects - while my body was getting used to it, I had some nausea and potty problems, but now that I'm used to it, it helps a lot. See, what PCOS is basically, are lots of microscopic cysts on your ovaries, that sort of throw everything out of whack. For some reason being on gloucafauge (even though I'm not diabetic, in fact I'm hypoglycemic so I have to adjust my caloric intake accordingly or wind up having some REAL problems), balances out everything for many women with PCOS. It's an older medication, but the application is good. In fact, it helps with fertility, period cycles, and cramps.


My friend Arlene who was told she'd never be able to get pregnant, now has two kids.


So, change of diet, doesn't have to be extreme, to include more vegies, less red meat if possible, foods with lots of antioxidants. Also, walking, and yoga - seems like it wouldn't do anything, but it does. If you need more info, or some suggestions for how to cope with it on a day to day basis, feel free to message me. I don't know everything, but dealing with PCOS is individual, and I may be able to point you to some resources that you could use.


Ultimately - PLEASE get a different doctor, and speak up. Don't be afraid to, don't just let them tell you ';Oh you're imagining this or that'; because they're human, they're fallible too.Just diagnosed with PCOS?
it would be better to consult another Dr. he will suggest for an ultrasound and the problem can be detected very easily. I know about this problem because I myself had this problem few years back.
GET A NEW DOCTOR!





Your doctor sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing.





Go to the Mayo Clinic website and look up information on PCOS - they have good, reliable information!

没有评论:

发表评论