2012年1月26日星期四

My dog was just diagonised with cushings diease... he is 6 years old..?

He is a black lab.


Since he was about 3 he has had a problem with hair loss and itchyness and hot spots and the sort. We treated him for allergies, which didn't work. The vet started to give us steriod.. or cortitozne (?) pills for him. His hair loss never really got better. Sometimes he would get his hair back for a short period then lose it all again.


Later when he was about 4, we found out his thyroid was all wacky and he has hypothyrioism. He is on pills for those as well.


Now, today he was diagnosed with cushings disease.


Question.


The vet didn't tell us to take him off of the steriod pill. From what I have read... the pills cause the cushings which causes the hair loss, increased appetite etc...


So if we eliminate the pills will the cushings not be treated, and everything else get better?


Please only answer if you actually know what your talking about!! lol





Thanks a bunch, I've had this problems for years with my dog. We have been told so many different things. Been through different vets and spent thousands of dollars on different pills and tests and the such.


I love my dog. I need him to live as long as possible comfortably. I need to know what to do!


Thanks againMy dog was just diagonised with cushings diease... he is 6 years old..?
He is young for Cushings. Steroids can trigger Cushings, however, it is very difficult on a dog to just suddenly stop a steroid medication. They need to be weaned off. You will want to discuss this with your vet. Was your dog given a medication for Cushings? The most common ones used are Lysodren and Anipryl. It can be very hard getting the dosage correct in the beginning.





Don't stop the thyroid medications, but discuss all medications with your vet. Is the steroid for the allergies? You may be able to treat the allergies without steroids. I have a breed that frequently has skin allergies and a predisposition for developing Cushings. My vet does not use steroids for my dogs for allergies.





I know that the Cushings tests can test false, but it is typically a false negative I believe. Unlike another poster, I believe, like you, that you have a responsibility to care for the animals that you open your home to. And, I also believe that it is your money and your choice how to spend it!





Do some research and write down all your questions over the next couple of days. Then you can be organized when you talk with the vet. I know this is scary. Good luck to your dog--and to you.My dog was just diagonised with cushings diease... he is 6 years old..?
Although I am not familiar with Cushing's Disease, I don't think it is ever a good idea to take a dog off a prescribed medication unless told to do so by your vet. Please make a phone call to your vet tomorrow and ask about the steroids.
I don't know much about cushings,and you have my sympathy.








BJ: I have never seen an answer as heartless and silly as yours..


un-flipping-believeable
thank god
I had the EXACT same scenario with my yellow lab. Skin issues, hair loss, wacky thyroid then the cushings. I can only tell you what I learned and you'll have to decide if I know what I'm talking about or not! lol


My Lucy was HIGHLY allergic to fleas. One flea would cause her hair on her rump to fall out and she bit and scratched till she was raw. I kept her inside more, bathed her once per week with Hartz Flea %26amp; tick shampoo, gave her a garlic capsule once per day and put her on Advantix instead of Frontline. The skin stuff cleared up almost immediately. Thyroid issues seemed to taper off as well. Cushings, on the other hand...I didn't receive a lot of help from my vet with this. They mentioned medication, but advised me to make the decision on my own, as mine was 11 at the time......I wish you all the best.
Hi, I am so sorry but you are not going to like my answer even though it is not intended to hurt.





A dog has a right to a decent life. Extending it just because we have the means is not always the right thing to do. There are so many dogs that are very healthy but are locked up in pounds until they are euthanized and they would love a caring owner like yourself. Spending vast amounts of money on a sick dog may seem caring but when you think about any ill animal in the wild which would be quickly killed off by their prey you may see the sense in what I am saying.





Be caring enough to let your dog die in piece, mourn it, donate a few thousand dollars to children in need if you feel you need to spend some money and then place your love in a new healthy pet.

没有评论:

发表评论