2012年2月4日星期六

Mystery Diagnosis: Tall and thin with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism?

I have a dilemma. I am 18 years old, 120 pounds, no muscle mass, skinny, super fast metabolism and I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis along with Hypothyroidism as a result. I can't eat healthy because my metabolism causes me to need a high fat high protein diet and I cant exercise because it makes me loose weight. Hypothyroidism causes me to become fatigued which made me stop exercising and now I am trying to get in shape but cant because Im scared of loosing more weight and my medication increases my metabolism which is already very high.





Any advice?





Symptoms include: Fatigue, Sluggishness, Sensitivity to coldd, pale/dry skin, swollen or inflamed joints, muscle aches, tenderness in shoulders and hips, pain in joints, muscle weakness, depression, forgetfulness, slow thought process, poor muscle tone, poor circulation, slow fingernail/ hair growth, and memory loss.Mystery Diagnosis: Tall and thin with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism?
Cool...





So this IS a real case... absolutely fascinating. Well by now you should be on levothyroxine to balance out your thyroid hormones. Your TSH levels need to be kept under control. It'll be almost impossible to function otherwise.





It'll take almost pure willpower to exercise up until then, and I would NOT recommend trying it. Until you can get your system put together, it could be dangerous to stress your system any more than it is. This is a serious disorder, and should not be thought of as a minor condition. Untreated, it can lead to muscle failure, including heart failure.





I would not recommend exercising yourself to a heart attack. You need to just bulk up on the food and do only minor exercise until you can get in to see your new physician.





Try walking, maybe light handweights, but nothing more physically draining than that.Mystery Diagnosis: Tall and thin with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism?
you sound just like my 20 year old son. i would like him to e-mail you but he is away for 2 days. is there any other way to contact you through the computer. I am not computer savvy but perhaps you could suggest something thanks
Hi there, I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which as you probably know by now is an auto-immune disorder. I'm not sure if you also have HYPOthyroidism since you claim to have a 'super fast metabolism'. That sounds more like HYPERthyroidism. Your symptoms do indicate you may have HYPOthyroidism however if you did, you would have a super SLOW metabolism, not fast. People with HYPERthyroidism tend to be skinny, suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, and tend to have a very fast metabolism, resulting in skinny appearance and sometimes eyes that look a bit 'popped out'.





Hashimotos thyroiditis also can potentially cause you to have a goiter which is a slightly enlarged thyroid. Your endocrinologist can test you for this. Your endocrinologist will also have you do bloodwork to test your TSH hormone levels and most likely will put you on Synthroid if your TSH levels are out of normal range (which they sound like they are). Synthroid at the dose he prescribes will most likely balance you back out and feeling 'normal' again.





It's very smart of you to go see your endo. If you feel like you cannot wait until November, call them back and tell them you feel badly and ask them to see if the can push up your appointment.





Don't worry, you will be ok and feel better soon after your doc figures out your TSH levels and check your thyroid functionality. :) He is the only person that can also assist you in developing a fitness routine that can help you keep weight on. If he puts you on Synthroid this may also help you to keep muscle mass on.





Best of Luck!

没有评论:

发表评论